Wednesday, August 13, 2014

My Puppy Ate a Bee. That is not a Euphemism.

Let me start out this post by saying my puppy is totally fine. 

But this morning, Jewels was sitting on the porch, and this bee starts flying around her head. She watches it for a few seconds, and then she leaps toward it and gulps it down. 

Yep. My puppy ate a bee. 

She shook her head several times, which makes sense because bees can be hard to swallow.

I want to ask her about her thought process. 

Was it like this: 
Hey! It's flying... It's yellow... It has a stinger... It must be FOOD!!!

Or maybe:
I wonder if it will still make that buzzing sound on the inside? I MUST KNOW!!

Or maybe:
If I ingest it, I might acquire its powers. I've always wanted to fly! (Spoiler alert: she can't fly).

It's not like she was hungry. She'd just had breakfast and a puppy treat. No, she made a conscious decision to eat the bee, and then she snatched it out of the air like a frog would snatch a fly. 

Kid C is very worried about her. After all, there's a chance the bee might sting Jewels on its way out. I tried to assure him that Jewels' digestive juices will probably disintegrate the stinger. Because these are things moms just know. Mother's intuition, call it. Like don't swim after eating... I know you're hiding something behind your back... Puppy digestive juices will take care of a stinger pre-defecation...


She's sleeping peacefully right now. That is hopefully a sign the bee is dead.

We learned a powerful lesson today, which is: How do you eat a bee? One bite at a time.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the laugh this morning. Our dog tries his best to eat small, flying things like bees and flies and the occasional bird attaching his outside food dish, but so far no luck. Maybe we should introduce Murphy to Jewels, except that Murphy would consider your dog a treat and probably succeed in eating her.

    ReplyDelete