Friday, June 5, 2009

In Which Two Ninja Cats Re-enact my Tennis Match... And Good News about my Dad!

I played in my first single's tennis match in, like, 15 years. It was a real cat fight. To demonstrate the results of said match, I hired two cats to act it out. Watch the short video to deduce the outcome. (I'm the black cat, btw).


Funny cat fight - Watch more Funny Videos

After the match, my opponent said, "Never give up. You'll get there eventually."

So I hit her in the head with with my racquet, as any gracious loser would do. It was the first time all night I actually hit the sweet spot. *self-five*

My parents, who came to watch the "Slaughtuh of their Daughtuh '09" congratulated me after the match, and then shared some good news, which I will now share with y'all...

MY DAD'S KICKING PANCREATIC CANCER'S ARSE! Okay, so they didn't use those exact words, but you get the picture.

His latest tumor marker is 26!

To explain what that means:
-Oct. 31st, 2007, diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer (or "PanCan")
-Given stats like "97% chance of death" and "3 to 6 months" and dreck like that. He was all "Whatev's, Them there are fightin' words!"
-Jan 2008- Undergoes "Whipple" surgery (check out my description of this here)

So now, every four months, they check his tumor marker. (Upon diagnosis, his tumor marker was like 3,000). Below 32 is considered normal.

He is 26! Go Dad!

For those of you who prefer pictures to words, I made a representational video. The part of my dad is played by "Chuck Norris", and the part of Pancreatic Cancer is played by "Random Cheesy Dude in White Car."

Check it out.




Finally, as a follow-up to our intellectual discussion regarding covers that thrill and chill versus covers that suck and blow, I decided to post the ones deemed thrilling by our commenters.

Here they are. Many of them came from Writer Peep Kim, who is an awesome blogger and even better writer. (She knows books.)









Truly beautiful covers. I admit to buying every single one of these books.

Enjoy your weekend! I plan on celebrating the number "26" with my Dad. What are y'all doing?

24 comments:

  1. I am going to see if I can switch opponents tomorrow and face her so that I can defend your honor. Alas, she would probably beat me too.

    I sincerely hope that you were not mocking Chuck Norris. Chuck Norris will take anyone out who needs to be taken out even if they are driving a car and all he has are his feet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Brodi's Dad! Beating cancer (especially PanCan) is a fabulous reason to celebrate.

    This weekend...my husband and I are going to stay at a Marriott Vacation Club resort for super cheap--a perk of working for Marriott. :)

    P.S. Superman wears Chuck Norris pajamas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam- I would never mock The Chuck. Trust me, given Chuck vs. a train, my money's on Chuck.

    Jess- Are you going out of town? Where? That is very cool you get perks. Do they have perks for "virtual friends who blog"?

    p.s. Chuck Norris doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bro I was rootin for that b/w cat the whole time.

    Chuck Norris CAN believe it's not butter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Deb. Apparently, the black cat was all talk (all arms) no action.

    Chuck Norris does not sleep. He waits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brodi-We're just going to Park City for one night.

    There actually ARE perks for "virtual friends who blog"..but they're known more simply as "friends and family" rates. Since you are a "virtual" friend, and "virtually" family (after all, I almost married one of your cousins!), I could totally hook you up. Let me know. ;)

    BTW, Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cat fight - hands down best part of my day so far.

    Cancer news - very awesome!! Congrats to your dad and your whole family. I followed the blog through most of that misery and he definately kicked some ass! (I'm not as good at you at editing - arse doesn't register in my vocab :)) Ashton always says, "Hey mom, there are 2 Ashtons - me and the doctor one, right?" So glad he's back at work to take care of my kiddies!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, BTW...my weekend plans are a 7 year old sleepover. Can I come stay at your house?

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah for Dr. A~!!!!

    is there any better news??

    we heart him!
    the nielson clan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jess- I will definitely take you up on that!

    Cam- Just go all "Chuck Norris" on their 7-year old bottoms!

    Dorien- Amen.

    Chuck Norris doesn't get frostbite. He bites frost.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray for your dad! Your family rocks. :)
    We're going camping this weekend (because I've never been before). It'll be an adventure, especially since it looks like rain.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ruth- Camping in the rain? You are a better man than I.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brodi - thank you for the visuals. As a "creative" type, it really did help to understand. My money was on the black cat...I also lean towards the feisty! I wish MY dad was Chuck Norris!

    Those covers are lovely and I'm proud to say I have read a few. But now, you have given me a few more books to read, thanks!

    Congratulations on your Dad's progress, that's fantastic! My mother has been battling melanoma for the past seven years (and so far, she's kicking butt like Chuck Norris...err, I mean your dad!). You're dad was right...it's always worth the fight!

    This weekend I'm soloing in church and hoping to rest, read and relax! Hope you (and all the readers) have a WONDERFUL weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Una- So good to hear you mother successful fight! I love hearing stories of a good cancer-thumping. What are you soloing? Do you sing? Play? Or are you going to draw a building in front of everyone?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cancer sucks! But Dad Rocks! And yes, he is so Chuck Norris! Just 200 pounds skinnier...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Way to go Dr. Ashton! I actually think there is something significant, maybe even magical about the number 26. Growing up whenever I was asked to choose a number, it was inevitably 26 (ask Mick Campbell, Mike Boyden, Stephen McKellar, Russ Nelson, etc. they'll agree.) Those guys even created hats and t-shirts that said 26 on it. Maybe I can get one for you guys. That really is wonderful news.

    And, too bad 'bout your tennis match. I guess you are meant to play only doubles...with me...and no one else...is that possessive?

    ReplyDelete
  17. P.S. I hope you mean no disrespect to Chuck Norris. Brandon and I have been watching him for years. He always says, does and stands for the right thing. Always. We could all learn from him.

    ReplyDelete
  18. P.S. I hope you mean no disrespect to Chuck Norris. Brandon and I have been watching him for years. He always says, does and stands for the right thing. Always. We could all learn from him.

    ReplyDelete
  19. P.S. I hope you mean no disrespect to Chuck Norris. Brandon and I have been watching him for years. He always says, does and stands for the right thing. Always. We could all learn from him.

    ReplyDelete
  20. P.S. I hope you mean no disrespect to Chuck Norris. Brandon and I have been watching him for years. He always says, does and stands for the right thing. Always. We could all learn from him.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Erin- Stuff a couple pillows under his shirt, and Dad's totally Chuck. (beard included).

    Alissa- okay, I got the feeling you like Chuck Norris, but only after the fourth comment. :) And I will always be your doubles partner. Apparently that's the only way I can win matches!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ha, I think the congregation would be bored watching me draw. I sing with my church chancel choir, but our director is gone tomorrow (poor thing, visiting her daughter in .... Hawaii) so I will be doing a solo piece with the piano as accompaniment. Should be good (fingers and toes crossed).

    ReplyDelete
  23. Una- good luck! Knock 'em dead! Literally!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have no idea why that posted 4 times, do you?

    ReplyDelete