Friday, October 8, 2010

More Burning Questions about the Book Deal, and Brodi gets Blurbified

First off, I was interviewed on Emily Wing Smith's Blog, so check it out here if you get a chance. 

Moving on.


BLURBIFYING* BRODI
*Not a real word. This blog disavows this post, and has reprimanded the writer.


I have to share another one of those "Never thought the day would come" moments. I'm a blurb! I'm a blurb! In Publishers Marketplace. 


October 6, 2010



 Children's:
Young Adult 

Brodi Ashton's THE EVER'NEATH, based in part on the myth of Persephone, in which a seventeen-year-old, after having spent the past six months in the underworld escapes to the surface -- to her old life, her family, her boyfriend -- for another six months before she's banished back to the underworld once again, this time for eternity, to Kristin Daly at Balzer & Bray, in a three-book deal, for publication in Winter 2012, by Michael Bourret at Dystel & Goderich Literary Management (NA).


 Y'all will probably have that blurb memorized by the time my book comes out. Sorry.

MORE QUESTIONS

Okay, so there are some more questions that have been popping up about the book stuff, so I decided to run them through our beloved Question-Maker. (Some of you were giving the QM flack in the last post, but I have to tell you, the QM came from humble beginnings, and he has no idea as to social cues. I don’t think he means to be rude. But today he’s promised to be on his best behavior.)

THE BURNING QUESTIONS from the QM:

QM: You have a book deal. So, you think you’re somethin’ else, now, don’t ya?

Me: (Sigh) I don’t think that’s a real question.

QM: Oh. Sorry. I was just shootin’ the breeze.  Didn’t know we were live. (taps on the mike, chews his tobaccy) Let’s have a looksy… Okay. Here. Isn’t your first book in the trilogy done? So, what are you going to do for the year plus until your book comes out?

Me. Excellent question, QM. Even though the book was finished when we submitted it, and even though I revised with my agent, it’s still technically a “first draft.” Now the real revisions with my editor begin.

QM: Hmm. Couldn’t get it right the first time?

Me: Nobody does.

QM: I have a little book here called The Twilight Saga that would beg to differ.

Me: Not a question, Question-Maker. Try again.

QM: How much did you get for your advance?

Me: That’s not polite, Question-Maker. You don’t see me asking how much you make at your job, do you?

QM: Fair enough. How about if you just tell me, and I promise not to tell anyone else?

Me: How about you move on to the real questions.

QM: Fine. (Flips through the 3x5 cards) Here we go. Do you ever get that, not-so-fresh feeling?



Me: I can tell it’s almost the weekend. How about we take a break.

QM: Is this a break? Or a break UP?

So, the question-maker and I are going to couple's counseling this weekend, apparently. What are y'all doing?

18 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Brodi! This is so exciting!

    And the QM is pretty funny. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. L.T.- Are you in the market for a used QM? I can give him to you cheap...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's kind of crazy that your book doesn't come out until 2012. (I know, things are slow in publishing.) How can you stand to wait that long?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Liz! It does seem like a long wait, but if you knew how long I've been waiting in the publishing world already, from waiting on queries, to waiting on partials, fulls, submissions, revisions, agent-break ups, finding a new agent, writing a new book, etc.

    Then it doesn't seem so far away. I'll do some writing, definitely some revising, and then there are many solitaire games waiting to be played.

    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! The QM is very forward, isn't schlee? (I'm not sure if the QM is male or female or if he's like Yivo.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenni- The QM is most definitely a Schlee. Schlee's convinced schlee was born that way, and being a schlee is not curable.

    I love Schlim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! A blurb! That is so exciting!

    I sincerely hope you and question-maker can get through these hard times. He does say some strange things, and maybe work on some social skills, but look at his good qualities! Honesty, for instance.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for a good laugh. Always appreciated. And good luck with the counseling! I think the newborn and I could use it, too, since he's upset with me for typing right now instead of paying attention to him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lulabell- Thank you for your concern. QM and I have too many good things going for us to give up on US that easily.

    Nikki- great idea. I would definitely put that newborn in therapy ASAP. :)

    I really need to hold that baby before long!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make me laugh Brod. I love the QM. And the blurb. Hot dang!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cath- Thanks Cath. You have a big heart.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yeah! I just saw you on Nathan Bransford's blog. Great post. Congrats on winning his contest (and on the blurb).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Huge congrats! I enjoyed your entry on Nathan's blog today so congrats for that too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kim- Thanks for commenting!

    T. Anne- Thanks for reading. Hope you come back and visit!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! It sounds really great.

    And I'm laughing at (or maybe with?) QM. Hilarious, he (or she?) is. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, Sandy! As for the QM, schlee is most definitely a schlim.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw your entry on Nathan's blog. Congratulations on your book deal!

    ReplyDelete