Monday, November 22, 2010

A Visual Tour of EVERNEATH

Happy Monday before Thanksgiving, y'all.

So, my writer's group and I went to a condo in Midway for a writer's retreat over the weekend, and I am proud to announce I kept my promise about not writing a single word. 

One of my favorite parts of the weekend was strolling the streets of Park City, and checking out some of the sights where my book takes place. (Did I mention EVERNEATH is set in Park City?)

There's a critical scene in the book, where the main character Nikki meets the guitarist of an indie rock band. The ominous encounter takes place at Harry O's, on Main in Park City. 

So we sneaked inside to get a peek. 
That's Emily Wing Smith on the right, and I'm the unabomber on the left. 

Now, to really get the ambiance of the scene, you have to picture the place at night, jam packed during the Sundance Film Festival. And then picture an awkward teenage girl making her way through the crowd. 
 Just when she thinks she's going to have to stand there, looking lame and alone, all night, a familiar looking boy from one of the VIP couches scoots over, and makes room for her. She recognizes he's a member of one of her favorite indie bands. Little did she know what that meeting would lead to... and the fateful decision she would make. 

Okay, I'm just being silly with the whole tagline thing. dun Dun DUN!!!

Anyway, I loved seeing it in person after I'd been writing about it all month.

Here's another stop on our tour:
Flanagan's. An Irish bar and restaurant. One of my characters in my book gets kicked out of this bar a few times.

They also make a delicious Shepherd's Pie. Yummm. 

So, yeah, it was a total blizzard that day. We rode the free trolley to stay out of the weather. 

If you're ever in Park City, check out these places, and ride the historic trolley.

So, what's everyone doing for Thanksgiving? We're going down to my hubby's ranch in central Utah. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, especially this year because we have so many things to be grateful for! 

Have a fantastic holiday. What's everyone doing? And did you like your tour of the EVERNEATH?

8 comments:

  1. I totally laughed out loud when I read your description of yourself as the unibomber. That was classic.

    That's exciting to see some of the places your book take place. Had you already been to any of them before? Or, did you do a Stephenie Meyer thing and just look them up on the Internet?

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brick totally got flashed by a woman at Harry O's once--and we weren't even inside the club. We were walking down Main Street (with my mom) and this woman started banging on the window from inside the club. Brick looked over just in time to see her lift her shirt all the way up to her eyebrows.

    Poor boy turned so red . . . Oh, did I mention he'd been home from his mission for only about 2 weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the pics! Those make me extra excited to read your book. And I can relate a little on how cool it is to see stuff from your book in real life; after 3 drafts of my 1st novel I dragged hubby to Ithaca, NY, to research sights, smells, sounds, etc. It's so fun to do that! Congrats on turning in your revisions and succeeding at a weekend without writing a word!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenni- Ha ha! Yes, I was already familiar with these places before I wrote about them. I should get a gold star or something!

    Bree- Wow. That's so hot. :) Poor Brick.

    Which brings up an interesting point: I would guess that 99% of instances of flashing are not sexy.

    Nikki- How awesome to have a hubby who will travel with you for research! That's dedication. I only had to drive a half hour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss Park City!! And Utah. Great post! I can't wait to read your book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Shari! I can't wait to read yours too. And you should definitely revisit Park City when you get a chance. It's a great little town.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy, I'm hoping you're already on your way down south, Brodi. The weather forecast looks AWFUL! Cedar City is going to have lows in the negatives. Brrrrr

    And Happy Thanksgiving. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Donna- Can you believe those forecasts? Crazy! I'm not headed down until Thursday night. Hopefully it won't be too bad by then.

    ReplyDelete