Wednesday, December 3, 2008

It's finally here... THE YOUNG ADULT BOOK CHRISTMAS LIST!

Book Status: I've actually spent a lot of time writing on my next Work in Progress. I've reached a zen place while waiting for Ted's revision notes. I only check my emails every five minutes. Have any of you heard from Ted? (She asked, very patiently, very calmly)

So, we have gathered some great suggestions for our Young Adult Christmas Book List! (Thanks for the idea, Heather!) I'll cover the Adult and Younger Children (Middle Grade and picture) books in the next post, so if you have suggestions for those lists, add them to the comments.

BTW: The pictures are links too! Be sure to click on them because it took me, like, forever to hyperlink them all. I'm a little cross-eyed now. (And if someone comments on how there's an easier way to do it, I will literally stab my eyeballs out!)

THE YOUNG ADULT BOOK LIST (AHHHHHHHHHHH! Imagine opera singer)

(You can probably guess this is my favorite genre, since this is what I write. My sister author Bree has a great post about why Young Adult books are so totally cool, for adults too.)

Z IS FOR ZACHARIAH (From Shellie. She also has an awesome post about cats. You must check it out. She is an incredibly funny story-teller. I can't wait for her to write a book.)
A gripping story about the survivors of a nuclear holocaust, by a Newbery Medalist. Ages 12up.



Books by Lois Lowry. Start with THE GIVER (suggestion from Shellie)
In a world with no poverty, no crime, no sickness and no unemployment, and where every family is happy, 12-year-old Jonas is chosen to be the community's Receiver of Memories.
There are some strong opinions about this book, so read about it before you buy!


HUNGER GAMES: (From Moi!)
Seriously one of my favorite books of late. Dark, dystopian tale of a futuristic country, once known as the United States. Check out the cool trailer! Maybe I should make one of these for my book...


BABYSITTER'S CLUB (from Shellie)
Total blast from my past. I grew up on these books! Fabulous series.




The following is from my sister author Bree Despain's blog. She lives on Young Adult literature. No, really, she eats a book for breakfast, one for lunch, and then she writes her own for dinner.

Her "literary" list:

Make Lemonade by Virginia Euwer Wolfe



Sweethearts by Sara Zarr




The Way He Lived by Emily Wing Smith (I met Emily at the SCBWI conference. She is so down to earth and very cool. I bought her book and read it the next day. Very powerful and moving.)



Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson






Bree's "fun" reading list:

Pants on Fire by Meg Cabot





All American Girl by Meg Cabot





Bad Kitty by Michele Jaffe (Bree says this is one of her big favs, but it is definitely not for everyone)




Bree's own personal to-read list:

I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter





Graceling by Kristin Cashore





One last bitty: I keep getting questions on how to become a follower of my blog. I have no idea! I know some of you out there are "followers", can you explain? It's probably really easy and obvious, and I'll feel stupid once I figure it out...

I also have a great story about how high heels permanently damaged my foot, but I'll have to save it for later. Did I mention the work with the hyperlinks? I won't be able to look at a computer for at least a day!

12 comments:

  1. Just a note--there are actually two books out there titled Bad Kitty. The one you have pictured is actually a picture book by Nick Bruel. I've heard it's good, but it's not YA. The Bad Kitty I recommend is by Michelle Jaffe and it is freaking-laugh-out-loud-hilarious. But you may have to be slightly weird in the head to appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Just got an email from Ted about 5 minutes ago . . .so he IS alive in case you were wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must be some kind of freak because I hated The Giver!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bree- Okay, I am such a doofus! I have the right link and book now. Very funny! (I'm thinking, well, the Bad Kitty book seems a little younger than YA...)

    Sally-
    I would definitely say that THE GIVER has some disturbing scenes. For sure each person should check out the book before they buy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh GOODY! (clapping my hands madly)
    more good books to ck. out from the library...i am need of a good one to read right now~
    (note: i did not love the Giver by the way either)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE YOU BRODI!!!!

    oh and I don't know if you got that lame A comment from me on facebook. I was trying to be funny but it wasn't so I deleted it. hopefully it never sees the light of day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a "follower" (not a leader for sure), the way I did it was to log into Blogspot and added you to the list of "Blogs I'm Following" on my dashboard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, and A.J. and I have been reading a lot of the Henry and Mudge Books lately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the list-- I am always wondering what books to give Avery. Love your blog and I loved The Giver--great book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always feel a little bit like a peeping tom when I check out someone's blog and they don't know it. So, hello! I loved the book list, I am always looking for something good to read. I recently read "The Hunger Games" and really enjoyed it, I can't wait to check out some of the other suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's possible that I might have been thinking of another book instead of The Giver. I just hated the way it ended. Off into nothing? AAAHH!!! All that, and he just up and... well, you know!!!

    Sorry about Newt. I felt the same way about my big, bad desktop when it spontaneously combusted.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey, thanks for linking to my book and recommending it (via Bree's list).

    Great blog!

    ReplyDelete