Wednesday, November 18, 2009

FBF Winner, and My First Trip to a Kohl's... aka I will Forever Expect Great Things

1. Last Free Book Friday

This Friday will be the last Free Book Friday until after the holidays! There's a chance there might be a huge blowout, and Smokey will pick more than one winner.


FBF Winner:

Nikki

Pick your top three choices from the pic below and email me your address.

2. D-Will and Kid B

Shout out to my man Deron Williams of the Jazz.
(D-Will Kickin' Arse)

I know the team is off to a rough start, but I love my D-Will. He donated 20 game tickets to the Pingree School for Autism the other night, so Kid B got to go to the game with me. Sam and Kid C bought some tix and tagged along as well. We got to sit in D-Will's Double Team section, and Kid B was totally engrossed in the game.
You can see Kid B considered the game an extension of school. He brought his backpack and wore it the whole time.
(First we make a cotton ball snowman, then we go to the Jazz Game.All in a day's work at Pingree.)

Hats off to any superstar who gives.


Of course, when the Jazz lost, we returned the ticket stubs to the team along with a note that read, "Why can't you win for the autistic children?"

I jest.
(The boys with the Jazz Dancers. They're learning early.)

3. I went to Kohl's for the first time ever the other day.

Why have I never been to this little piece of paradise on Earth before?

Cousins A and K told me about it, and I asked, "What do they have at Kohl's?" And they basically replied, "What don't they have at Kohl's?" And then we all laughed heartily and slapped fives in the air and elbowed each other in the ribs in an "if ya know what I mean" kind of way.

The rumors were true: Everything at Kohl's is on sale. To which I kept replying, "Isn't that like saying nothing at Kohl's is on sale?"

And Cousin K would remind me, "It's not the same thing as saying everyone's special, so no one is. Everything here really is on sale."

I decided to buy a pair of shoes for Kid B. Ones where there would be no foot twisting involved to get his foot in, and preferably the entire top half would lift off when it was untied so he could step on it, and the shoe would automatically enclose his foot.

Cousin K insisted they have those shoes, because they're Kohl's. She asked, "What size is he?"

me: "He's about 3 and a half year-old size."

K gives me a strange look.

me: "Okay, maybe he's more like size 4-year-old in shoes."

K: "'Size 4-year old?' Shoes are not like clothes. They have actual sizes."

me: "Say Whaaa?"

I have an almost seven year old, and an almost 4 year old. How did I not know this?

So, how's everyone's week going? Anyone excited for New Moon? Anyone finish their NaNoWriMo books?

28 comments:

  1. I'm the first one to comment. Wow. Don't I feel special. Too bad about the Jazz. I guess things haven't changed much since I lived there.

    Yes, Kohl's is a veritable wonderland.

    Now, totally random thought. What's your take on People Magazine's SMA, Johnny Depp? Discuss... I think I will blog about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nkrell- You might be asking the wrong person, because I love love love Johnny Depp. I've had a crush on him for like 20 years, and I couldn't think of a sexier man alive.

    But I'm sure there are people out there who would wish a few vamps had that spot...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these lists honey, so now I cant think of about 20 of your 'sexiest men alive.' Just curious, am I somewhere in the top 234? Oh well, I will just continue to walk around being dumpy and un-sexy with tears in my eyes.

    Dwill rocks and the Jazz are fun...the kids seemed more interested in the crowd, but thats OK, baby steps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's awesome that D-Will donated tickets and how fun for you and your family to go. Too bad they didn't win, but at least it was fun, right?

    Brodi, I totally agree with your assessment on Johnny Depp. Although, the sexiest man alive is Ewan McGregor. (Need I say more: http://www.sauk.org.uk/exhibition/ewan_mcgregor.jpg.) But, Johnny is definitely a very close second! I love how versatile he is too. I don't think there's a movie he's been in that I haven't liked.

    I've only been to Kohl's twice. Unfortunately, both times, I didn't have any money to spend on the glorious things in the store. So, I must go when I win the lottery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been to Khols once b/c when they opened on in Provo they sent out little $10 giftcards to people in the neighborhood. I bought a belt for $10. I'm sure they were hoping that the giftcard would actually, you know, get people to buy more stuff. I haven't been back yet, but with the "Brodi Ashton Seal of Approval" I guess I better go back & check it again.

    Ha! Finish my NaNoWri book...ha ha ha... ugh. I'm still a tad behind but I'm chugging along. Not giving up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely like Kohls. That should be one of our excursions some time ... maybe before we go to LA next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats to Kid B and way to go to D-Will for donating tickets. I love it when celebs step up and do things for the community, they really should.

    I've been to Kohl's, in fact the picture you posted looks like the Kohl's we have here in Central California. Hmmm... Brodi, did you come down here, snap a picture and leave without stopping by to say hello? I only work a few blocks a way!

    And I just noticed, we are doing word verifications now here, why the change? If you mean to keep out the weirdos...*ahem* I'm already here! =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenni- You love your Ewan like I love my Johnny.

    Olivia- Keep Chugging! In a non frat-party-gone-horribly-wrong type of way. Cousin K also had a magic card that got her 30% off of everything, so that may have made Kohl's more enjoyable for me.

    Valynne- Every trip to L.A. needs a pre-trip shopping binge at Kohl's. It's a plan!

    Britt- to which one specifically? Sam? Because he thinks he's the funniest so far... :)

    Una- I would never come to your part of the country without saying hi. Mostly because I plan on staying with you. :)

    I enabled the word verification because the spambots have finally found my little blog. So I'm trying to curb it.

    Hope y'all are okay with word verification? Just don't start finding deeper meaning in your words.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! NaNoWriMo. I have written every day this month. Which is a big change. But I'm not quite halfway yet.

    And yes I am excited for New Moon. I'll say it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alysa- Don't you feel like it's easier to write when you write every day? Like you get in the groove. The fact that you're even close to halfway is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My favorite parts of shopping were trying to find you a purse when none of us really knew what we were doing (well, cousin A seemed to have a pretty good grasp on purse shopping, but you were a stickler on the whole "no orange or purple purses" thing)

    And then when we were trying to guess what size shoe Kid B would wear by holding them up and asking each other "does this look like the right size to you" at least a dozen times.

    It's a miracle that we found you both a purse and a pair of shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I didn't realize spam bots attack blogs, I'm all for word verification then!

    Brodi, you're free to visit however I hope you like a overly friendly yellow lab, a petting-crazed kitty and depending on if it's after Christmas, the possibility of a screaming infant. =) Wait a minute...you are a chaos lover, aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Karin- Kohl's is the place fore miracles, isn't it?

    Una- that's what every home with a newborn needs... houseguests. Strangers make it even better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a fun family outing. Esp if two of your tickets were free. I love that he took along his snowman and backpack. Super cute kiddos you've got there.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbie- Kid B wouldn't go anywhere without being fully backpack prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Am I excited for New Moon? Heavens no. I already have tickets to see it twice :)

    Your first time to Kohls? You HAVE been missing out. I have so much to teach you, Grasshopper.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have two too! One for midnight Thursday. But I have to drive to Provo... and then I actually have to stay awake, and then I have to drive back. I don't think I could do that for any other movie!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I went to Kohl's today. I like their stuff, but hate checking out because they ask too many questions.

    Very excited for New Moon. I have to wait clear until Saturday. Oh, well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Suey- Ooooh. What do you mean by too many questions? Are they like personal questions? Your comment made it sound like you have something to hide... :)

    Next time you go, when you're checking out, just spontaneously shout, "Don't ask questions you don't want answers to!"

    ReplyDelete
  20. "Do you have a charge card?" "Would you like a charge card?" "Do you want to save money?" "Do you have a coupon?" "Do you want to save money? Here, pick, a coupon." "If you use the coupon, you have to use the charge card." "Do you want to use your charge card?"

    ReplyDelete
  21. I see. Yeah, totally annoying! I especially love the question, "Do you want to save money?"

    It's designed to make you look stupid when you answer, "No. No, I don't."

    ReplyDelete
  22. What? NaNoWriMo was this month? Really? Did I sign up for that?
    9,000 Words and stuck--or should I say 9,000 Words and lazy!

    I thought Kohl's was my secret.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a coincidence-- I went to Kohl's yesterday for the first time when I found out they had one at the Brickyard. I used my $10.00gift card to buy a sweet new blender and a can opener.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Eden- I think NaNoWriMo is next month, so actually you're ahead of the game.

    Margaret- I'm worried that there's one so close to us now... I don't want to make Kohl's a habit.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just found your blog via http://librariansbookreviews.blogspot.com - how totally fun! You're on my blog feeder now. I don't want to miss anything.

    Oh, and there's a Kohl a few miles from my house. They send me coupons, so I haven't been able to stay away :) It's an addiction.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Susan- Welcome to the blog! We are all very nice here... only don't make us angry. You won't like us when we're angry.

    Sorry, just quoting lines from the wolf pack in New Moon. I promise you'll even like us when we're angry.

    ReplyDelete