Wednesday, November 11, 2009

FBF Winner, and Presenting the First Page of My New Book (Feel Free to Disregard)

1. Free Book Friday Winner:

Keersten


Choose your top three books from the picture and email me your address. (Email in sidebar).

2. Team Tamale Deadline
Tonight is the deadline for Team Tamale. And I can tell you all, I'm finished with my book! Now there's a huge difference between typing The End, and having a draft that's actually readable by someone else.


Right now, it's about at the reading level for hamsters. By December, I'm hoping to take it to the next level. Bats.


3. SCBWI Conference

Anyone in the Salt Lake area writing for children out there? Young Adult, Middle Grade, Picture Book? The
SCBWI Utah conference is this Saturday. I'll be there. I also happen to know Bree Despain will be speaking at some point.

And SCBWI Queen
Sydney Salter brings in editors, agents and authors who shed skin cells on the whole publishing industry. (You thought I was going to say "shed light", didn't you? I was going to, but I didn't want to be cliche.)

If you do want to go, make sure you email
Sydney Salter asap and work it out with her that you want to pay at the door. Tell her I sent you, and she'll jack up the price an extra 10%. Her email's in the sidebar.

4. I vow to Up My Blog Quality, so Up Yours.

Y'all know I've been a little light in brain cells lately with this whole Chimi-Challenge '09. But now that it's over, at least my part of it is, I promise my blog quality will resume it's normal, lackluster sweaty sheen. I just snorted over that last sentence. Heh heh. It doesn't even make snense.

I bet right now, y'all are wishing for a guest blogger. Well, too bad! My blog's not cool enough to attract guest bloggers.

So, as a final salute to mediocrity, I will present the first page of my new book. Feel free to skip to the end of this post without reading. I will not be offended.


Whoa. Stage fright. Hubby just told me, "Maybe you don't want to share your first page. Maybe you want to wait until you've revised a few times."


To which I reply, "Did General Custer hesitate on his way to Little Big Horn? I think not."

So, like a mobster who brings a knife to a gunfight, I present my first page. As for comments, ummm... if you have to choose between being nice, and being honest, choose nice. (btw, it's a Young Adult novel, about a teenage girl who's been gone for a long time, but gets a chance to go back to her high school)

CHAPTER ONE

It’s too soon.

But, really, I’d been gone for one hundred years. Everything about my old life would be too soon. Especially high school.

The halls of Jackson High looked the same, and I reminded myself that above ground – far above the Underneath - only a few months had passed during my absence.

Senior year. A waste of time, in one respect, considering I would never graduate. But I needed be here to glimpse, for a moment, the life I had before. The year I should’ve had. To see Jack one last time. To stockpile memories that would nourish me for the next century. I could do this without hurting him again.

I glanced down at my schedule. First period English Literature. As I checked the room numbers at the tops of the doors, curious whispers floated along the hall behind me. Hanging in the air above my head. Blended together, belonging to no single voice.

Isn’t that Nicole Beckett?
She looks awful…
Is she using?
Has to be… She was with the band. What else would do that to person?
Poor Jack.
Does he know she’s back? Does he know she’s strung out?

When I found the right room, I clutched my books into my chest, lowered my head, and walked through the door.

Someone -- probably the teacher -- called from near the front of the classroom. “Miss Beckett? Is it?”

Hearing my own last name did strange things to my heart. Made it beat a little faster. A little harder. It’d been so long since I had a last name. For a hundred years, Cole only called me by my first name.
***

Okay, thanks for humoring me. Now to just get up the courage to press "publish post". How's y'all's week going? Pressing "Publish Post" in 3.... 2.... 1

37 comments:

  1. Zero comments, What?!

    I must be the early bird. Where's my worm? I demand a worm.

    You know I adore your book and I'm so happy you shared!! Still love it by the way :) You've changed the first page since the rough draft suitable for ... the amoeba you lovingly call a critique group.

    So excited for you!!!!
    Oh, I'm signed in with my "shoelover" account, which is code for "least crazy."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the changes from when we saw it in June! Wishing I had 20 pages of it to read again; hard to stop after one! Feel free to send me pages to read whenever. I'm happy to swap if you ever need a fresh reader (since I haven't read PAST pg 20, I think that counts as fresh). Congrats again on making your deadline!

    ReplyDelete
  3. we want to read it!!
    LOVE it so far!

    and SOMEDAY i will get to a writing conf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that you mentioned you are going to a conference on Saturday. Usually I don't find out until you have snuck out of the house and all you left was a note that says "I'll be home when I am home." So thanks for the heads up this time.

    I may never be allowed to guest blog again since I left out Battlestar. How humiliating!?!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shoe Lover/Sara- I love my amoebas. Or is it amoebi? How about my "Writer
    Ameebs". And your worm is in the mail.

    Nikki- Thanks, chica. I tried to take everyone's advice from the conference. Except Joel's. Just kidding.

    Dorien- thanks. You know you'll be one of the first readers.

    Sam- I think I lost followers after your guest blog post left out the beloved BSG. It's okay, though. I forgive you. Hopefully you'll remember how magnanimous I am when I ditch you for the conference.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on finishing writing your book. Good luck with the edits and have fun! :)

    I love the excerpt you let us read and I'm not just being nice. It sounds like another.... I can't think of the word I want. The word should describe something intriguing, interesting, pulls you in, etc. (And, it's meant to be a compliment.) I can't wait to read it for real.

    The writing conference sounds like fun. I wish I could go, but I already have plans for this Saturday. I'll make it one day. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love, love, love the changes!!! My only complaint is that you left me drooling for more. I may slide into a serious pout for the rest of the day.

    So many congrats about finishing your draft.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, congratulations Brodi and thank you for sharing!! The first chapter excerpt was great! Grabs me by the collar (if I wore shirt with one) and makes me want to keep reading! Can't wait to have it in my excited little hands!

    Sam - we might let you guest blog again...but it might just have to be dedicated to BSG...

    I think the comments slowed Brodi because we didn't want to distract you, Team Tamale wanted you to win so we ourselves got a little dull so we wouldn't keep you from writing. Did it work?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay, Brodi!

    If I could write like that, maybe I'd share a first page.

    If I'd written a first page of my new book, that would help too.

    Congrats on the successful deadline-making. You journalists always know how to do that, don't you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenni- "intriguing, interesting, pulls you in"... Vortex of Doom? Is that the phrase you're looking for? Wish you were coming to the conference too!

    Leisha- Hopefully the instructor wouldn't hold up my new page as an exhibit of what NOT to do again. Heh heh.

    Una- My commenters are such a thoughtful bunch. Does this mean I'll get more comments now that the challenge is over? Because that would be very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kim- I agree that before you post your first page, it is essential to actually write one.

    And I seem to remember our BYU instructor saying something along the lines of, "Brodi, why can't you be more like Kim?"

    ReplyDelete
  12. So if a random guy shows up at your house with a few ziplock bags of Tamale's you'll know I meant them in a congratulatory fashion similar to a bouquet of flowers. Or something. Way to go on finishing.

    SCBWI conference? How do I miss out on these things. My S-I-L was just asking me about this and I told her the fab Sydney Salter was the person in charge so they had to be great. Do you know how often they have them? Perhaps I'll have to call her and maybe we'll stop in. (Although she practically lives up in Blackfoot, hehe.)

    I'm intrigued with your book Bro. I want more on these Cole and Jack boys stat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooooo... love the first page. Thanks for sharing. Though now I want more.

    I want to go to the SCBWI conference but i'm practically on my death bed & the thought of getting out of it is impossible. Maybe next time? How often does those happen. Ah, curses... now I want to go. HA!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very intriguing. I want to read it. And your first book too, by the way. Any idea when I might be able to purchase a copy?

    Way to go on finishing the first draft!!!! (Lots of exclamation points to indicate excitement and volume)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Debbie- They have the big local SCBWI conference once a year, but they also have monthly goings on too. Try to make it sometime. They are good fun!

    Olivia- Once a year. Maybe next year I'll mention before the week of, so people can plan better than 2 days notice. How's the writing? Sorry you are still sick.

    Thanks Jenny! Still waiting on everything. It's a good thing I'm patient. Excuse me while I go and smash a piece of china.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm new here, so be gentle.

    Too cool! The first page definitely makes me want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  17. See, this is the problem with authors, they leave you hanging. Urgh, but the good side, for you, is I want to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Welcome Nkrell! Everyone here is pretty nice with a few notable exceptions. I jest. I think you'll like the blog. Thank you for de-lurking.

    Cherie- Thanks. The best reaction a writer can get is that the reader is left wanting more. Now to keep that up throughout the entire book...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ooh, I love the changes since June! Very nice! Congrats on finishing it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the page. Can't wait to read more. Great job making your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You finished! Wowsers! WAY 2 GO Brod! I like the first page. Where's she been? And who is Cole? And... Jack - is he worth coming back for? I'm hooked. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jenilyn- thanks! And thanks for your insight in June.

    Kim- Thank you. Now to write the second page...

    Cath- I definitely think Jack is worth coming back for. Cole is that person behind you, telling you to make bad choices. And Nicole's been... Oh wait! I can't tell you that! That's on page two.

    Thanks for liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. My only complaint is that you only let us read the first page!!! Don't leave us hanging anymore and send us the rest. I loved it! Thanks for trusting us with your 'baby'.

    ReplyDelete
  24. congrats for finishing the book! can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your book looks awesome! I'm totally stoked to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. My week so far: Boring.
    Your book so far: Great! And def. NOT boring.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very good! Can't wait to read more. Congrats on getting it done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thanks all y'all. I appreciate all the nice comments!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Brodi, I hope you don't mind, but Bree updated her blog and I left a little FYI that Team Tamale had conquered and now we were back to keeping our eyes on her. I figured a little encouragement (*ahem* threat *ahem) might be called for.

    So now that the draft is done (please forgive me, I'm so not an author) what is your next step?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Una- I saw your comment on Bree's and I commented after you. Thank you! We definitely need to keep the pressure on.

    As for my draft, the next step is to revise. And then, after that, I revise. And then, revise. You get the point.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hey all,I'm here to testify that Brodi has indeed finished her book. She emailed me the whole manuscript last night at 10:02 pm. Though she made me swear on the lives of my children that I am not allowed to open the document, so as far as I know it may just say, "Oh crap oh crap oh crap" over and over again for the last 20,000 words. :)

    Anyway, congrats to you and team tamale!!! I knew you could do it! Now for your next challenge, you must have a readable draft of your book by Christmas. And then you MUST send a polished draft to Ted by Feb 1st, 2010. . . or else you'll lose your knee caps! Mwahahahahahahahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You only gave us one page?!!? Sigh.

    I want more.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Bree- Hey, chica. You need to discuss goals with me privately before you announce them to the inter-web-world! Now the deadline is out there, just cyber-hangin'.

    Okay, okay, I take the challenge.

    Now, Team Gluten-Intolerant, it's your turn again. Tick tock, tick tock...

    Britt- I totally would've given more, but I promise the first page is the only one that's readable! Thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congrats on typing "The End." What a milestone! I loved reading your first page. You plant a mean right hook, Bro. Seriously - in this book and in Echo the very first page has an exceptional hook. Even if Sam convinces you to make changes to it, I loved getting a glimpse into what this novel is all about. I'm excited for more.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Congratulations on finishing! I'm amazed at your willpower. Thanks for the first page glimpse. It sounds super-duper.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'm 5 months late, but in my defense, I hadn't heard of your blog in November.

    I love this concept. I can't wait to read the rest. Publish this SOON. :)

    Yes, I still want to read whatever changes you made on Friday. And the first chapter. And the rest of the book. :)

    ReplyDelete