Wednesday, February 16, 2011

My Book is now in Orbit... And how a Bookstore is making me Cry

Hey y'all.


My editor informed me that yesterday Balzer+Bray/HarperCollins launched their 2012 winter list. (And for those of you who don't know, Everneath is on that list!)


This is very exciting, although I don't know exactly what it means. The word "launch" has certain connotations, so I can only assume it means the Balzer+Bray team gathered in the parking lot (because it's Manhattan, and every building has an outdoor parking lot), carrying their little rockets made of balsa wood, each rocket with the name of a book on it.  


Then they all count to three and light the fuses, and the rockets are sent into orbit around the earth. 
My book is somewhere over Nantucket. Watch for it in the skies!


Or the launch might mean my editor presented my book to sales and marketing teams, a bunch of whom I met on my trip to New York. (Hi, Sales and Marketing team! *waves frantically*) They were such an enthusiastic group, I know my book is in good hands. 


In other news, my Borders is on the list of stores that will close. I call it my Borders, because it's where my critique group meets most Thursdays to write, chat, vent, gossip, and write some more. And eat. 


The cafe had outlets, the wi-fi came fast and easy (just like the dames), and everyone there really did know our names. Sure, it was annoying during the holiday season, when the Christmas songs drenched the place in syrup, but mostly it was a little corner of heaven. 


Okay, maybe I'm a tad emotional these days. But why do things have to change? Why can't everything just stay put? Where's Mammi when I need someone to rub buttermilk on my shoulders and say it jes ain't fittin'? Please tell me someone knows somethin' about birthin' babies!


Well, I think I've blogged myself into a corner. I don't know where to go from here. Is anyone else shedding tears over a Borders? 


This weekend, I'm going to the LTUE writer's conference, which stands for Life, the Universe, and Everything conference, where a bunch of writers who are geeks get together and discuss the latest geeky things. (I think they describe it as a conference about Fantasy and Speculative Fiction, but we all know what it really is). 


I don't want to stick out, so I'm going dressed as Frodo dressed as a storm trooper.

27 comments:

  1. Ack! I'm so sorry about your Borders! If you need, I can try to bring you some buttermilk at LTUE, but I might not recognize you amongst the hordes of hobbits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenilyn- But I'll be the hobbit dressed as a storm trooper! How many of those can there be? See you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE my Borders! It's so conveniently parked right next to Target. I mean where else can you get diapers, laundry detergent and the newest hardcover all while drinking the most scrumptious hot chocolate ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes... As a member of the B+B winter list, I wonder what this "launch" means...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jill- I say we continue to make up our own definitions! We can pretend that both of our books are orbiting the planet as we speak.

    ReplyDelete
  6. well you can never go wrong w/frodi. that's my feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dorien- Frodi sounds so much better! It means "Brodi dressed up as Frodo. Frodi."

    Leisha- Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cool about your book being launched! Is it the newest star in the sky? Which direction do I need to look tonight? :)

    I share your Borders pain. I found out that my Borders is also on the list of stores being closed. I am extremely sad..... :( *tears*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! See you there! I'll be the one pretending to be important.... (See my recent blog post.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kristin- Yes, look to the North, toward Orien's belt, and there you'll see a tiny speck. That's my book! I have no idea how they're gonna get it down to earth to actually print it.

    Robin- Can't wait to shout, "I know her!"

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found out my Borders isn't closing. I'm not trying to rub it in; I'm just saying that I was really worried and I'm glad mine isn't closing. I'm sorry that yours is. It really sucks!

    I'll be at the LTUE on Saturday, maybe. I'm starting to feel the pressure of midterms and stuff. So, if I'm in a good place on Saturday, then I'll be there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll have to keep an eye out for a Frodo dressed as a storm trooper.

    Love that image.

    Sorry about your borders. That's a total bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jenni- For not rubbing it in, it sure feels like you're rubbing it in! Hope to see you on Saturday.

    Donna- There may be a lot of Frodo Storm Troopers. I'll be the one with a Spock communicator on my tool belt.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound like I was rubbing it in. I should've just not said anything. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jenni - You didn't! I was just a little jealous. Looks like I'll have to move in with you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You impress me. Enjoy your launch. Soon you numbered among the stars!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're totally welcome to move in with me, but I do have three cats ... so it may not be the best idea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on launching the USS Everneath! Boldly going where few Frodo/Stormtroopers have gone before!

    My Borders is closing too. I'd say I'm sad, but really I'm hoping to get some good deals while they're liquidating inventory!

    I have to tell you that I stayed up way past 1:00 this morning sucked into Anna and the French Kiss. When my husband pointedly told me what time it was for the third time I decided it was time to put it down, but then I literally couldn't sleep because I was angsting over Anna and St. Clair all night!! (And I'll admit it... having mildly inappropriate dreams about kissing a fictitious British/American high school boy!)

    So, to recap... hooray for launching into orbit, sorry about your Borders, and THANK YOU for such a fun book recommendation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so sad about all the Borders closing! I keep feeling bad about all those bookstores that are cheering, because it means more business for them, but really, it's just depressing. Fortunately my local is sticking around for a while, but who knows how long? I love Borders.

    ReplyDelete
  20. The Borders in Logan is closing too. We don't even have a competing bookstore around! :'(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Kayla- Isn't that book the best? I am so in love with it!

    Melissa- It's bad for books all around. Very sad.

    Lulabell- boo!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hooray for the launch!

    And, yes, the closing of any book store is enough to drive me to drastic measures. Um, in theory, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amanda- Are you going to blow something up? Awesome!

    ReplyDelete