Friday, August 27, 2010

Everything You Need to Know about Dating can be Learned from 7 Brides for 7 Brothers

Last night I went to see my niece "MM" in a community production of Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. She played one of the brides, and she stole the show.

This was probably my 100th time seeing the play. My mom loved the movie, so we watched it instead of Saturday mornin cartoons, and then every summer we went to Jackson Hole, WY, and saw it live. 

I realized last night how much I've learned from the play, so I thought I'd share what I've learned with you. 

Top Ten Dating Lessons Seven Brides for Seven Brothers Teaches us:

1. A dance off is appropriate in any tense situation. 

2. If you want something (like a wife) just go and take it, provided you can cause an avalanche on top of the only throroughfare so the men with the guns can't chase you. (Also, it's okay to assume your kidnapping victim will 'grow to love you')

3. Every Oregon town in the 1800's had exactly 6 eligible women and 12 eligible suitors. 

4. Love at first sight is possible if you and your potential mate are wearing the same color of shirt.

5. "Dorcus" is a girl's name. So, to my sister who used to torment me by calling me "Dork"... guess the joke's on you! You were just calling me a girl's nickname. Zing!

6. "The Bridegroom who gets married in June gets a sweetheart for a wife." Sam and I got married in June. Truer words were never spoken. Right, Sam? Right??

7. Real Men don't swing axes... they dance with them.

8. There are no good "F" names in the bible. And if you're choosing between "Hannah", "Hepzibah" and "Hagar" to name your first baby girl, choose "Hannah". I mean, is it even a question?  

p.s. I hope you're not reading this, Hepzibah Jones. (She's my neighbor)

9. These are what real "Bad Boys" look like:
 

And finally...

10. Shotgun weddings are magical.

So, what's everyone up to this weekend?

16 comments:

  1. Such a fun show, though I still have to see it live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You said: "The Bridegroom who gets married in June gets a sweetheart for a wife." Sam and I got married in June. Truer words were never spoken. Right, Sam? Right??


    And then you said: 7. Real Men don't swing axes... they dance with them.

    Yes, I got a lovely wonderful sweetheart...and you got a lovely lumberjack ax toting and dancing metrosexual for a husband. I am one of the few metrosexual lumberjacks in the valley.

    We both WIN!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this live up at Sundance when they still did things outdoors. It was a lot of fun.

    You forgot that singing can solve anything too! Just sing about your problems and then they'll be resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chersti- Just find any community park in the summer... and you'll find 7 brides for 7 brothers. It's inevitable.

    Sam- My mama always told me to hold out for a metrosexual lumberjack... I'm so glad I did!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jenni- Good addition! Also, any moment is an appropriate moment to spontaneously break out into song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This movie was a favorite amongst my friends in college during my final year. I always thought it was a little silly, but harmless fun and, well, anything we a good distraction from studying for computational fluid dynamics class.

    On a related note, we're in the end of Judges with the high school Sunday school class I help out with at church. I think we get to talk about the men of Benjamin kidnapping women to be their wives. And they do it while the women are dancing. Ever since college, I can't read that section without thinking about 7 Brides for 7 Brothers. Kinda glad I'm not teaching this week, although there's a good chance I'm gonna get caught humming the songs and then I'm gonna have to explain it. Ah well. I always say that, if nothing else, the high school class has the most fun and laughs the most of any Sunday school class in the church. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brodi I love your blog!

    This is also my favorite musical of all time. We watched all the time growing up, and I uh, told my hubby we had to get married in June, there were never any other options for me. I wanted to be "a bride all [my] life!"

    You forgot to add that all you have to do is refuse to feed a man and he will do anything. Like completely change his habits with one shower and a shave. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Okay, Dork...If I recall correctly, Dorkus was the really cute brunette one. She also got the really cute boy too. So, zing back atcha!
    I also remember Mom buying us PJ's that looked exactly like the ones the girls were wearing when singing the June Bride song. I think she's gotten us PJ's like that for the past 25 years. So I think we are the real dorks. Mom just 'zinged' us....rackin, frakin....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rue- As I recall, the most memorable church lessons were learned when the teacher sang to us...

    So I challenge you to sing "Sobbin' Women" to those high-schoolers. You'll earn immediate street cred.

    Aubrey- I refuse to cook for Sam on a daily basis. He hasn't learned a thing!

    Erin- We are the biggest dorks. Remember those bonnets we used to have to wear? It's amazing we ever got a date.

    ReplyDelete
  10. #11. Referring to your future bride as a dead animal skin makes them swoon every time."... BLLLLESS yore beautiful hiiiiide, wherever you may beeeee..."

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kent- Ha ha! When Sam first courted me, he looked me straight in the eye and sang, "Heavenly eyes, but oh those thighes..." followed by an awkward pause.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oops. I thought "thighes" looked wrong.

    THIGHS!

    ReplyDelete
  13. It seems to be little bit old tips and information but it proves that proverb that "Old is Gold". By using this information people can make their love marriage success.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always knew there was truth to be found in that play/movie. Now I have to go find a copy of it so my daughter can learn these nuggets of wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is because of this movie, I knew..KNEW I had to marry a man that could bust out in song at any moment. I always figured the whirling ax was just a bonus...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Leisha- Find it! You and your daughter will have such memories...

    Una- ha ha! That's the reason Sam won't watch these movies. He can't possibly fathom that someone would break out in song. Even though I do it all the time.

    ReplyDelete