Wednesday, August 18, 2010

What I'm Reading, What I'm Writing, and Get Your First Page Critiqued

Hey y'all. I thought it was time to do some updates.

What I'm reading: 

I was lucky enough to get my hands on an ARC of Matt Kirby's book THE CLOCKWORK THREE. 

It was so good. You know, one of those books that makes me jealous of his way with words. I'm proud to call Matt a friend. So I can track him down and toilet paper his house.

What I'm Writing:

Some of you have been asking what the status is with my book. We are currently at Defcon 4. 

Defcon 1: Find an Agent.

Defcon 2: Revist with Agent.

Defcon 3: Wait to submit to Editors.

Defcon 4: Blood turns to acid because the stupid clock is not ticking away fast enough, and even though you've been waiting for years already, you swear this time, the wait will kill you, so you spend most days trying not to send crazy-a** emails to your agent, demanding to know why he doesn't have the power to speed up time, and perhaps as incentive, you should open a vein and bleed acid blood on everyone...

Defcon 5: Submit to Editors. Or the world blows up. It's fifty-fifty.

Get Your First Page Critiqued, and Meet Some Authors

If you have an interest in the publishing world or writing in general, you probably have heard how important the first page is.

Well, this Saturday, you can have your first page critiqued by a nationally published author... and raise money to provide needy children with books! 

It's a day of workshops and panels and critiques and signings, and an evening extravaganza, with some big names in the book world like James Dashner, Bree Despain, Jessica Day George, Shannon Hale, Ally Condie, Emily Wing Smith... and more. 

I had my first page critiqued last year, and now I have an agent. *
*above statement was not FDA approved, and results may or may not be typical.

Anywho, you can come for the day, or evening, or both. Click here for more info and to register.


Whew. I'm off to Lagoon (the illegitimate love-child of Disneyland and the State Fair) with Sam and the kids, because I got to thinking that it's been a while since I puked my lungs out. Wish us luck. 

11 comments:

  1. Just as a heads up, I have already begun puking in preparation for the 'fun' today. I am also wearing cut off jeans and a tanktop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam- Does the tanktop showcase your belly? Because if it doesn't, I'm not going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey my family was there yesterday. i can only say it was TOO D*MN hot.

    have fun.

    the end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dorien- you mean I should rethink the sweater set I was planning on wearing?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want an ARC of that book! Who do I talk too?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suey- That's a good question. I don't get arcs ever. Anyone else know? Maybe I can talk to Matt and see where this copy is going next...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with surviving Defcon 4. That sounds beyond frustrating. And I'd say "See you Saturday!" except that somebody higher than me decided it was a fantastic idea to schedule an all-day meeting for work on a Saturday, so I will be at SLCC rather than the charity event. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nikki- Boo! Who can I complain to on your behalf? Heads will roll.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck! Hope you guys have a wonderful time. By the way, I'll see if I can find a worm hole for you...that'll speed up time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I meant to comment yesterday, but yesterday was defcon 5 for me. Oy!

    I'm very excited about the A Book for Every Child Event. I think it's a great cause and will be a lot of fun. I'll there for the auction. :)

    I love your FDA statement. So funny!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Una- that would be great. Just throw the wormhole in the mail.

    Jenni- See you at the auction!

    ReplyDelete