Six years ago, while we were preparing to leave on a trip, my hubs hid the jewelry box containing my wedding ring.
He was concerned that if someone broke into our house, my ring would be the first thing to go.
Why wasn't I wearing it, you ask? That is a discussion for another time. But basically, it boils down to this: I never wear it, because I have a habit of taking it off and leaving it places like bathroom sinks and restaurants and bowling alleys.
You see, I would hate to lose it.
Anywho, we got back from our trip, and since I never wore my ring, there was no reason to get it out of its hiding place.
Fast forward six years. We have since remodeled the kitchen, and a good portion of our house. We have since had another kid. And Sam totally forgot where he hid the ring. You'd think that at some point, during a spring cleaning session, or one of our kajillion garage sails, we would've come across the jewelry box.
But it didn't happen.
Finally, two days ago, Sam was rummaging through some sort of closet and found the jewelry box. Yay!
I'm not sure what this says about us, on several levels.
1. How much do my housecleaning skills suck if we never ran across it for six years?
2. There is a cheerio in the corner of my kitchen floor that I've been able to keep track of for three years. Why couldn't I keep track of my wedding ring?
3. If someone did break into our house, I don't think his first thought would be, "I wonder where the wife keeps her wedding ring." It would more likely be, "Why does this family keep their flat screen under this big pile of Cap'n Crunch?" or "I'd steal the laptop, but my path is blocked by this pile of laundry... and wait... why have half of the keys on the keyboard been replaced with various incarnations of Spongebob Macaroni and Cheese noodles?"
4. Then we'd be featured on that new reality show "When Burglars Stage a Hoarders Intervention instead of actually Burgling the House."
5. I don't know why I'm suddenly numbering everything on this blog post.
6. But Six seems like a good round number to end on.
So... what's everyone up to this weekend? Sam and Kid C are taking ski lessons. Boy would I love to be a fly on that mountain.