Friday, May 1, 2009

Echo Cover Art and a few last Pakistan pics

Cute fan status: So, I have a 12-year old blog reader in the midwest, and she was kind enough to read my book. She wants to be a writer, and she is already an incredible artist. After she finished reading Echo, she sent me her own "cover art".

What do you think? 12 years old!

Some last Pakistan tidbits:

We ate at this restaurant called Cooco's, located in the old city. When we decided on this restaurant, one of my pregnant Pakistani friends wondered if she could make the climb.

I was thinking, "She looks in good shape. What's the deal with a couple flights of stairs?"

Okay, I could barely make the climb!

The restaurant seems to teeter 5 floors above the street. It provides a beautiful view of the Mosque and the Fort, but I know for a fact there's no way it would pass building codes here.
The owner's mother and sisters were prostitutes, and several paintings of them were displayed throughout. He was proud of his heritage.


The food is cooked on street level, and when it's done it's placed on a little bowl hanging from a rope.

The waiters at the top floor hoist the food up with lightening speed, never spilling a drop of the food. It was quite a show.

Maybe my favorite part of the trip was the Wagah border, separating India and Pakistan. Every night they have a changing of the guard, and a lowering of the flags. Each side has its own stadium seating, with one side cheering loudly for Pakistan and the other side cheering for India.
This was my favorite guard. If anyone could hock a logie from his eye, this guard could.

It is a spectacle, and although we took video, I think this youtube piece sums it up better.





We had VIP seating next to the Dutch Ambassador. Front and center. Blond hair shining. You can bet the Major had a heart attack.

Enjoy your weekend, y'all! I will get to some of the questions next week. If you get a chance, give a shout out to Marie (the aforementioned 12-year old artist) about her cover.

11 comments:

  1. Wow - very impressed with the cover art. Very cool! Makes me want to read the book even more :)

    PS - is it not proper to hang pictures of your prostitute relatives? I guess Ben better take down my mural over the piano. Rats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful art work for your cover! And wow with the Wahgah Border changing of the flags! Very impressive. Reminds me of Dave when he does the "changing of the diapers" with Asher. Stomping his feet, using finger gestures, thumbing his nose at me...alas, we have so much in common with the Pakistani soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way impressive cover by Marie! I love it.

    That Cooco's restaurant you ate at. When you say teeter, were you a bit nervous to sit up there the whole time and eat? Cause when I think of teetering above 5 stories I get a little tummy ache. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY cool cover!! very cool sounding restaraunt!! what a great trip brodi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Val- I know, right?

    Erin- lol! you are very witty. How come you're not that funny in person? :)

    Debbie- I did get a tummy ache, but it was more from the spice. Let's just say I spent the next morning hugging the toilet.

    Dorien- Next time, come with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the cover art! How did you find this budding talent?

    As for the changing of the guard - it's a far cry from the absolute silence of Arlington, eh? All that nasty stomping was quite something! Thanks for sharing all your adventures Brod.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is an awesome cover! she is a great artist

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cover looks great! Way to go, Marie!

    Brodi - is it me, or do the guards have fans sticking out of their heads? Is this to aid them during the really hot months?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cath- oh yeah. Nothing like the reverence at Arlington!

    Lil- I know. Talent, right?

    Una- Yes, on the hot days the fans lower automatically to their faces and start beating back and forth. Their soldiers are pampered!

    ReplyDelete