Monday, August 1, 2011

Kid C snores at the Shakespeare Festival... and the best perk to being an Author

Hey y'all. 

So, today marks one-month until the sequel to EVERNEATH is due in to my publisher. 

I'm not freaking out. Mostly because my editor reads my blog. (Hi Kristin! Nothing to see here!)

But I will say you can read my stress on my chin. I pick at my chin until it starts to bleed, then I wait for the blood to dry up, and then I pick it some more. And like any self-respecting addict, I say, "This is the last time I pick it. The last time. I am in control."

And then I pick it again. 

Yes, I have just spent the first half of this blog talking about picking scabs. There are so many places to go from here. 

1. When I turned eight, my parents took me to the Shakespeare Festival for the first time. Since then, with few exceptions, I've gone every year.
Kid C and Kid B at the Globe replica in Cedar City

Now Kid C is eight, so I took him to his first play, expecting it to be as magical as my first play. 

Here's how magic it was for him:
To sleep, perchance to dream...
And he was on the front row. The actors were practically tripping over his feet. And yet, he slept...

2. Look at what I got in the mail today!



UNDER THE NEVER SKY by Veronica Rossi
INCARNATE by Jodi Meadows
SLIDE by Jill Hathaway

Undoubtedly, the best perk to being an author is being able to read books before they come out! But the worst part is getting these books in the mail on the day that marks one month before my sequel is due... 

And... we've come full circle. 

So, what do y'all plan on doing for the last month of summer? Anyone going to the SCBWI conference in L.A. this week? If you are, look for me!

14 comments:

  1. Truly, I have no idea how you write books, go to Shakespeare festivals (jealous!!) and writer's conferences (more jealous!!), and still manage to find time to pick scabs. You're a paragon of time-management.

    I'll be querying for the last month of summer. Fun, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never been to the Shakespeare Festival, which is sad because my sister lives in Cedar City. I have been to the reconstruction of the Globe in London, just for a tour and not to see an actual show, so does that count? (Also, the one in London doesn't have seats, so it might be harder to nap.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to the Shakespeare Festival either. I think that's why they kicked me out of Utah. (Well, that and I can't sing. I don't sew. I'm not good at crafts...)

    One month? Easy peasy lemon squeezy! You can totally do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin- I always make time to pick scabs. And your little half-fairy, half-human is making her way out into the world? That is so exciting! Can you send me an update when you get a chance?

    Jenilyn- When we went to graduate school in London, we lived about a block down the river from the Globe. Ah, memories.

    We never actually saw a play there...

    Nicole- I did hear you can get banished from Utah for neglecting the Shakespeare Festival.
    And I need an update on everything from you as well. Can you email me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll nail E2 just like you nailed the first one. I'm thoroughly enjoying my ARC... and Jack.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog, too. I just might take you up on stalking Michael, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina- I appreciate your faith in me! And yes, stalk Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You pick scabs too when you're stressed? Cool. So do I. I also have a twitch that consists of clapping my hands really loudly. I don't know which one's worse. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. He was snoring so loudly and had made himself rather comfortable in the chair...if we would have been good parents, we would have left him there to get a good sleep and then just picked him up in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. my big plans for the last month of summer break?
    try not to kill my children. i have set the bar very very high, i know. ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  10. No pressure, huh, Brodi? Does that mean you're going to have to wait until after you've met your deadline before you start reading your new books? How can you resist the temptation?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenni- Do you spontaneously shriek? Because I do that too.

    Sam- If you'll recall, I wanted to.

    Dorien- Crazy enough, that's my goal too!

    Donna- It's going to be hard to resist. But all I have to do is think of failing to meet my deadline.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, those are some beautiful books. I've always wanted to go to the Shakespearean Festival. I think it's a shoe-in for my to do list next year after seeing kid c's extreme level of excitement. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. *Salivates over ARCs*

    Ooooh....I'm so pumped/nervous for you. One month till the sequel is due! I know you're going to kill it. In a good way, you know.

    Have fun at SCBWI - I'm super jealous! But less jealous than I was of the folks who got to go to ComicCon, I must admit. I was dying all weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jenn- His picture should totally be an advertisement for the festival, don't you think?

    Leigh Ann- I lose a little bit of my heart each year that I miss ComicCon. Someday. Someday.

    ReplyDelete