Friday, January 30, 2009

BIVALVES, BALD EAGLES AND BOOK REVIEWS

Blog Status:
For those of you new to the blog, here's the schedule of what you can reasonably expect each week.

Monday: Relatively sane blog.(As sane as I ever am).

Tuesday: Dork Side. EFG (Especially for Geeks. We discuss things semi-geeky and totally geeky. From 24 to BSG to Vulcan dialects. Okay, not the Vulcan dialects. That's just nerdy.)

Wednesday: Mildly insane blog.

Thursday: Your day off from my blog! Hurray! Go you!

Friday: Totally insane blog. End-of-the-week, kids-turned-into-aliens, brains-turned-into-mush, crappity-crap... where was I?

Book status: Have any of you heard from Ted? You can be honest. I won't be mad. I just want to know.

YOUNG ADULT BOOK REVIEWS

So, I read two Young Adult books this week, and below I present you my reviews, in all their teenage-angst-acne-proned splendor.

I'D TELL YOU I LOVE YOU BUT THEN I'D HAVE TO KILL YOU
-Despite the promising title, there was very little violence in the book.

-Female teenage protagonist (Cammie): Very kick-butt. High on intellect, high on martial arts, low on logical reasoning.

-Premise: setting is an all-girls boarding school that pretends to be a school for the gifted, but is really a school for spies.


-Favorite concept: Cammie and her two BFF's can break any encrypted code, but have a very difficult time deciphering "boy-speak".

Ex: Boy: "Maybe I'll see you around."
What does that mean? Should I plan on it? Is it a brush-off, or is he in love? By "around" does he mean someplace circular? Around what, exactly?

Overall:

Fun read. Fun premise. I'm not quite pre-ordering the sequel (even though it's already out).

PANTS ON FIRE
-Female Protagonist (Katie): Smart, but too eager to please those around her. Two-timing football boyfriend with another hot guy, but doesn't like either of them.

-Premise: Old guy friend (who was run out of town for turning in some cheaters from the beloved football team) returns to town four years after the fact. He's a red-head, and now he's really really hot. So, there's a third guy in the mix for Katie.

-Favorite stuff: Quahogs (pronounced KOH-HOGS can mean one of two things: they are the name of the high school football team, but they are also type of bivalve clam). Any time someone refers to "Quahogs", someone else always asks "The football player, or the bivalve?"

"I hate Quahogs."
"The team, or the bivalves?"

"Quahogs are rubbery. The bivalve kind. Not the football player kind."

For some reason, this never got old for me, because I've fallen in love with the term "bivalve." I'd like to use it somehow in my next book.

I know what it's like to go to a high school where the football team is revered. Every football season at Skyline High School, the players would shave their heads. (Get it? Bald Eagles? Ha ha.) Not that any of those supercool guys ever gave me a second glance. I was too busy deciphering Vulcan codes. I'm not bitter.

I'm not. I swear.

I'm just saying, I prefer hair. Seriously, I don't even give them a second thought. It's been 15 years, why should I care? No, really, why do I still care?

-Overall view:
You know those books where you end up yelling at the protagonist, because she's getting all caught in a web of lies, and you're thinking, "This could be so easily fixed if you'd just grow a pair!"

The author, Meg Cabot, sure gets the teenage mind-frame. She has a corner on the market. I'm a little big jealous.

I'm currently reading A GREAT AND TERRIBLE BEAUTY. I'll review that next. Anyone want to join me? Interweb book club style? Anyone else have anything to say about these books? Anyone read them?
BTW: My mocha-honey Rafa plays today at 1:00 p.m. Mountain Standard Time on ESPN 2.

10 comments:

  1. I just read a Jack Reacher novel...total page turner. I borrowed the book from Sam so if he has anymore Reacher books, I want them! Just to give you a little teaser, on the back of the novel it says: Jack Reacher. Soldier. Loner. Hero. Lover.

    It has it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin-

    Soldier. Loner. Hero. Lover.

    In that order? Because that sounds so much like Sam.

    Except the Soldier, Hero, Lover parts.

    I kid, honey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man, someone is going to be on the couch tonight--wait, that is not a punishment for you? Well forget that one then. That description totally fits me.

    Yes Erin, I have loads of Jack Reacher novels and they are perfect for young adults.

    I have not read any of the books that you talked about Bro...but they all sound fabulous and I will get right to them after I read the other 764 books in my queue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll read it with you! I am almost done with The Book Thief - great book! I'm running low on new books so I love the suggestions! I am also going to read "The Girl Who Could Fly" By Victoria Foreseter??? We'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay Cam! Way to take up the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe you were out of Diet Coke!!!!! Sam's a slacker. How are you supposed to keep up on your insane posts when there is absolutely no Diet Coke on the front porch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy- Thank Goodness I have a neighbor who comes to the rescue.

    Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brodi,
    I too have read "Liar, Liar" and thought there were similarities to the Skyline world. I actually have "The Great and Terrible Beauty" in a pile to read. I will join you in reading it! Have you read "The Hunger Games" by Suzanne Collins? It is excellent. Add it to your list. As always, thank you for the laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Monae-
    Glad you're reading with us! I have read the Hunger Games- it is one of my absolute favorites. I can't wait for the next two to come out!

    If you can, start Great and Terrible Beauty soon, and we'll all discuss!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, I'm right in the middle of A Great and Terrible Beauty--it's probably because we share a brain. Except, I've been in the middle of it since November. . .obviously, it isn't holding my interest. Great cover though.

    ReplyDelete