Friday, July 17, 2009

Interpretation of the Toot... and What I'm Reading and Writing

What I'm Reading
As discussed in Wednesday's post, I'll be reading Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle.

Can't wait to see if I still have a crush on Calvin. If anyone wants to join in, I'm sure the Library has plenty of copies, and there's probably not a waiting list.

Want an extra reason for reading it? My favorite castaway Sawyer is reading it too. He has such good taste.

What I'm Writing:
Current WIP: 20,597 (up from 18,495 last week)

Redemption of Zupa's... almost


Remember my crazy day at Zupa's? Well, I tried Zupa's one more time, and there it was. Wi-fi. I didn't even have to plug in.

Everything looked rosy, until I filled my diet coke cup, and there were no bubbles.
I'm now known as the girl who freaks out about every little stupid thing at Zupa's.

If Your Toot Could Speak, What Would it Say?
Yesterday, as Hubby was taking Kid C to Harry Potter camp, Kid C said he "tooted." He then proceeded to giggle.


Sam: "Yeah. That's funny, C."


Kid C: "You wanna know what it said?"

Sam: "What your toot said?"


Kid C nods.


Sam: "Okay, sure. What did it say?"

Kid C (in a high voice, the one he uses to imitate girls): "It said, 'When I get home, I wanna play the wii."


I asked Kid C about it when he got home from Harry Potter camp, and he confirmed the message he received from his nether regions.


Kid C: "Is that weird, Brodi?"
(He hasn't called me Mom in over a year.)

me: " Is what weird?"


Kid C: "That my toot said that?"

I thought about it for a sec, and decided that this was going to be one of those magical moments of parenthood where the parent imparts little nuggets of wisdom that stick with the child for decades. Like telling your child exactly who the birds and the bees are and stuff like that.

So I looked at him, and said: "No. It's totally normal. How do you think I got the ideas for my book?"


Kid C: "Your toots spoke to you?"

me: "Yes. It must be a family trait."

Then, just to further enforce the parental guidance, I added: "Don't do drugs."


Heck, I just sent him to a camp that taught him there is such a thing as a magical wand and a sport called Quidditch. Who am I to say toots can't talk?

13 comments:

  1. You gotta love that kid. Its not that he wants to play the wii, its his toot. Its not that he is hungry, its his darn stomach. Seriously, our boy Rocks!

    And good reinforcement on not doing drugs. Its never too early to teach him to 'Say no' or that 'drugs are for thugs!' or 'be like a bee, be drug free' or...ok, I'll stop. Good parenting though hon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks hon. I personally like, "I'm not crying. It's my eyes that are crying."

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a riot, Brodi! I wish my toots could spawn creative thinking! Then any time I have trouble coming up with a creative advertising concept I could just run to Taco Bell for lunch and shortly have enough creative matter to last for decades. Ever heard the crepitation contest? If you haven't google it. There are some real interesting "monologues" contained therein. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My fave is "I'm not crying...it's just been raining on my face." From the Flight of the Conchords "i'm not crying" video. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eric- Taco Bell- the place where dreams are born. Crepitation? I'm scared to google that one.

    Alysa- I love Flight of the Concords.
    Thanks for the reference!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! I love that he calls you Brodi :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cam- yeah, I stopped being "Mom" a long time ago. Sam is also "Sam". Not Dad.

    When the doctor examining Beckham told us he thought it was weird that Becks doesn't say "Mommy" Or "Daddy", I was like, "Nobody calls us that. Who would he learn it from?"

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know realize how dull I am, my rear is completely uncreative or is unable to speak. I feel so defective! =)

    I think it's great to encourage creativity in kids. Course, I can't wait to hear what he says next! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should've been wishing my toots spoke to me and gave me awesome ideas. Instead, I've been wishing my toots would stop all together. Boy, was I wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Una- I think Kid C has more creativity in his left elbow than I have in my whole being.

    Jenni- I wish we could wish toots away! I'd start with Sam's.

    ReplyDelete
  11. C'mon Zupas you better step up your game!

    I love it. I love the whole thing. I keep trying to pick out one line to laugh at more but it's all so darn funny to me. You crack me up. And apparently so does your kids toots.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Debbie- I think the next time I go in, Zupa's will have Wi-Fi AND bubbles in my diet coke. It's called hope. It's what I live on.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hilarious. Now we'll know not to be offended in case you pass gas around friends. We'll just know you're receiving a fab revelation for your book! Carter cracks me up and so do you!

    ReplyDelete