Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My Favorite Iron Chef Ingredient, and the Worst Song Dedication Ever

So, you use So? So what?
So, my friend Bree claims she starts 80% of her blog posts with the word “so”. I hereby challenge her to shoot for 100%. You can do it, Bree!

Today's Secret Ingredient: Blood!
I very much enjoyed everyone's blood recipes on Monday's post. Now if we can just get the Chairman of the Iron Chef to introduce "blood" as the secret ingredient at our book party: (Watch the video over and over. I dare you not to snort bubbles laughing.)


They're playing our song. Our venom-filled, gouge your eyeballs out, can't wait to spit on your grave, song.

Have you ever had a song dedicated to you? I have.


It was a magical moment that for the longest time has been lurking in the recesses of my mind, just waiting for the right instant to pop up and punch me in the kisser again.

So I’m in my car the other day, and this familiar song starts playing on the radio. I’m trying to figure out why it sounds so wrong, and yet so right. When it gets to the almost-chorus, it hits me. Below, taste the poison.

Words of the Almost-Chorus


Well, I don’t want to sing you guarantees

And I don’t want to cling to our use to be’s
So take your heart, take your soul
Just get yourself on out of here

Yeah, just take your hurt, take your pain
Just get yourself on out of here Yep.

That’s the song my on-again off-again college boyfriend “Bill” dedicated to me. (If you must know, it was during an “off-again” phase).


I know what you’re thinking. What did I possibly do to deserve such vitriol?

Looking back now, I can’t for the life of me remember the events leading up to the song. My brain gets a little squishy around the edges when it comes to things like memories.
Ask Hubby. Whatever I did to deserve it, it must have been a doozy.

It kinda sucks that the only song I’ve ever had dedicated to me is a hate-song. But it doesn’t really really suck. In fact, I find myself snickering like Edward over it. Why is that? Maybe knowing that at some point in my life, someone hated me enough to dedicate a song to that hatred. It's so poetic. It's like the hate reached an ethereal level. I'm honored.

Just once, though, I want someone to dedicate some sort of Colbie Caillet, Jason Mraz song to me. Something about my body being a wonderland or something. I don’t know. I don’t really listen to that sort of stuff.


Anyone out there had a song dedicated to you? Do tell.


Preview of What I'm Reading Friday:

So, I finished "Everything is Fine" by Ann Dee Ellis, and now I am halfway through her earlier novel "This is What I Did." I'm actually dying to find out what it is, exactly, he did do. I should find out today.
But starting Friday, I will be resurrecting an important artifact from my childhood: my favorite book. I can thank (blame) it for making me the way I am today (kind of a dork.)

I haven't read it in at least 15 years, but I loved it as a kid, and I'm excited to see if it holds the same magic.


Since I'm a dork, I will leave you with this teaser quote (one that has stuck with me for years):


“Speaking of ways. . . there is such a thing as a tesseract.”


Can anyone name the book off the top of their head? Anyone care to read it with me? See if it stands the test of Time? Get it? Time?

I smell the wafting odors of a book club… Anyone else smell it? Anyone? Hmmmm. Maybe it’s just the Bangers and Mash I’m smelling.

17 comments:

  1. Ahhhh...I remember LOVING "A Wrinkle in Time" when I was young. I tried reading it with Justin a couple years ago and neither of us could really get into it. Maybe it's time to pull it out again. I was disappointed that it wasn't as magically wonderful as I remembered.

    Love the video clip...where do you come up with these things?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karin- Uh-oh. It's not going to live up to my memories? Well, I guess since I've built it up in my mind so much, it couldn't possibly live up to the expectations.

    But, read it again with me! It was also my first taste of teen romance with Meg and Calvin. I had the biggest crush on Calvin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved that book! I read the whole series like it was crack. I still want to make Tesseract references in conversation but people just look at me funny. Oh-well, good thing my wife is a dork too. (nomadshans husband, dave)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dave- I totally know what you mean! Whenever there's any type of lull in the conversation, I always want to blurt out, "There IS such a thing as a tesseract!"

    I sometimes use it in conversation as a verb: "Let's just tesser on over to the store." Yes, I get strange looks.

    Thanks for the comment, Dave.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also adored "A Wrinkle in Time" as a youth. I remember being so impressed that someone could know the square root of 2 off the top of her head.

    Now, the only remembrance I have of the book is of the strange land where all of the balls bounce in sync and everything exists in exact, organized harmony. It gave me the creepy crawlies then. I experience that same feeling every time I drive through/past/near a planned housing development (including but not limited to places such as Daybreak...it's just not natural!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmm, bangers and mash! I haven't had that in forever! Ha, aren't most men excited over beer?

    I remember reading "A Wrinkle in Time" too and I liked it. My touch-stone book growing up that I still will reread occasionally (but can't when hubby is around due to the inevitable tears that are shed) is "Where the Red Fern Grows". Hubby doesn't understand how I can (as he sees it) torture myself with reading it but it is just one of those books that just clings to you.

    Ack...are we a book club today? *Gasp* we must stop and start discussing new Iron Chef ingredients like scabs!

    Housing developments for the most part give me the heebie-jeebies...like I've been sucked into The Stepford Wives/Twilight Zone or something.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jessica- I did read somewhere that Daybreak has set height restrictions on bouncing balls. Very suspicious. Perhaps IT is nearing them.

    (Of course, I'm just jealous of their closet space).

    Una- ditto on Where the Red Fern Grows. But I can't read it anymore. I don't want to cry anymore. Ah, man, here come the tears. You're right. Let's talk about scabs and warts and stuff.

    Today's secret ingredient..... BOILS and PUS!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Snickering like Edward?? Does that imply what I think it does with his very dry, lifeless chortles? (Did I even use that word correctly? Whatever.)

    You cannot use Edward and bangers and mash in the same post because you get me all confused and mixed up. Now I want to eat me some Edward and lick me some bangers and mash...Or is it that I want Edward to banger and mash me and I want to eat Snickers?

    You are tying my senses into a pretzel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dude, you only mention food and Edward, and yet I feel dirty. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. So so dirty . . .Mmmmm, now I want snickers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've dedicated a few songs but never had one dedicated to me. At least not on the radio. In person once. Oh the days of highschool.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brodi - it's a gift, what can I say?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I could watch clips of the Iron Chef all day long...I love his intros to all of the mystery ingredient. Beeeeeeeer! That rocks.

    And hon, I have dedicated many of Meatloaf's beautiful songs to you over the years. It comes from the heart, always!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bree- now we know what to bring for snacks next writer's group.

    Debbie- Which song? Do you remember?

    Cam- Let your talent shine, no matter what the talent is.

    sam- Was it "I would do Anything For Love," or was it "Hot Patootie?"

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't remember if a song has been dedicated to me specifically. However, at a sorority dance, a sister's date dedicated "Lady in Red" to us because I was in a red dress and I guess he was jealous of Jeff (my-now-hubby, then boyfriend). And yes, we did dance, "cheek to cheek". =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Boy, I bet your sorority sister was pleased. That's almost worse than getting a mean song dedication.

    ReplyDelete